Be Safer With a Home Fire Extinguisher
Small incidental fires can begin at home for several reasons; a cigarette, a grease fire on the stovetop, or a lit candle or space heater left unattended. A small home fire can often be put out with a fire extinguisher, rather than calling the fire department in Raytown, MO. That, of course depends on the size of the fire and the type of extinguisher you have.
Get the Right Extinguisher
Part of fire preparedness is knowing which kind of fire extinguisher is best for certain fires. Understanding the difference is of great importance, as some can do more harm than good. The following list explains the difference.
Type A – Suitable for everyday combustibles such as paper, fabric and wood
Type B – Works best for fuels like gasoline, butane and for cooking oils
Type C – Most appropriate choice for electrical fires
Not only do extinguisher have different types, but they have other variations besides. Type A and B have a number before the letter to designate its effectiveness. A 4-A works better on a paper fire than a 2-A. If the unit has a C but no number ahead of it, it means it will not conduct electricity.
Which Extinguisher is Best?
The kind you decide to keep in your home depends on where you intend to keep it. You may decide you need more than one at hand for the greatest safety. For instance, you would do well to keep a type B in the kitchen where you are most likely to experience a grease fire. You might want to keep a type C near the breaker box and a type A near a home den, library or craft room.
In the event a larger blaze breaks out and you require more than a fire extinguisher, call 911 immediately. Then get help to assess fire damage and manage fire cleanup, call the fire and water restoration service in Raytown, MO for help. They can handle the fire damage cleanup and help get things back to normal. Preparation can help you avoid a disaster however, so keep a couple extinguishers at hand.